Pages

Monday, March 14, 2016

Bacon, Sausage, and Sauerkraut Pie

"Since this is international Pi Day when number lovers (NOT me!!) the world over celebrate the mathematical constant of 3.14, or the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It's also a fun excuse to bake a pie." So, I am offering this savory one I saw in the paper yesterday. Editor's note: I have decided to make this today for my peeps and me!! After that storm, I think we deserve it!!
(serves 8)

Dough for one 9" piecrust
6 slices thick uncured* smoked* bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 large sweet* onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 pound refrigerated* (with probiotics) sauerkraut in a glass jar, drained and squeezed dry
1/4 t. caraway seeds
3 large eggs
1&1/3 cups sour cream
1/3 cup whole milk or half and half
1 T. Dijon mustard
2 t. flour
1/2* kosher* salt, or to taste (the recipe calls for 3/4 t.)
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1&1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese
6 oz. cooked bratwurst or kielbasa, cut into bite-size pieces

On a lightly floured sheet of wax paper, roll dough into a 13" circle. Flip into a 9" deep dish pie plate; peel off paper. Gently tuck pastry into pan without stretching it, fluting the edges. Refrigerate 1 hour. Editor's note: I am going to use a frozen pie crust, and par bake it. Preheat the oven to 375. Position rack in center of oven. Prick bottom of chilled pie shell with a fork 8-10 times. Fit a 16" long piece of foil snugly into shell. Fill with dried beans. Bake 25 mins.. Remove foil and beans. Bake 5-7 mins. or until bottom is dry and pale golden. Put on a wire rack to cool. While pie shell prebakes, heat a large skillet over med. heat. Add bacon; cook 8 mins. or until crisp. Editor's note: I always bake my bacon at 350 on a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Remove bacon to paper-towel-lined plate, reserving 3 T. fat in pan. Add onion to pan; cook 12 mins. or until light golden stirring occasionally. Stir in sauerkraut and caraway; remove from heat. In a large bowl, whisk eggs until blended. Whisk in sour cream, milk or half and half, mustard, flour, S&P. Spread sausage in bottom of prebaked shell. Top with sauerkraut mixture. Pour egg mixture over sauerkraut mixture, smoothing top with a spoon. Crumble bacon over top. Bake 40-45 mins. or until set. Transfer to a wire rack; cool at least 30 mins. before serving.

"I can be as high maintenance as I want because nobody pays my bills but me!"

Have fun cleaning up the mess today to God's Glory!!

Love,

MM

No comments:

Post a Comment