Pages

Friday, March 24, 2017

Tuscan-Style Quinoa with White Bean Sauce

I made this Ancient Super Grain (which is GF and V) dish for my beloved friends, Patti and Steve Smith who pronounced it, "DELICIOUS!" (and requested the recipe). They call me "Chef Deb" - which I LIKE A LOT, but my real Chef name is Machete Milletti!! Happy Friday, Friends. And, again, the asterisk* denotes changes or suggestions I have made to the original recipe.
(serves 4)

For the sauce, Puree:
1 can reduced sodium cannellini beans (15.5 oz.) drained and rinsed WELL*
1 T white wine vinegar
2 t. EVOO
2 t. minced fresh garlic
3-4 T. water
1 t. minced fresh thyme

For the Quinoa, Combine:
2 cups water
1 cup dry quinoa
1/2 t. kosher salt
2 T. minced fresh basil

For the Veggies, Heat:
1 T. EVOO
2 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb
2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
2 cups diced yellow squash
1 cup roasted red pepper*, cut into strips* (not in the original recipe, but I KNOW Patti likes*)
2 t. minced fresh garlic
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 Roma tomatoes ,seeded and diced
1 T. minced fresh thyme (I used lemon thyme* from my farm)
1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
1/4-1/2 cup crumbled feta (again not in the recipe, but Patti likes this, too!*)

For the sauce: Puree beans, vinegar, oil, garlic in a food processor (I don't have one, so I mashed up the beans with a potato masher - I like the consistency, and they said they also used it as a salad dressing*). Drizzle in the water, and add the thyme; blend until well combined and smooth, if desired*

For the quinoa: Combine the water, quinoa and salt in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until quinoa softens, doubles in size, and water is absorbed, 15-20 min.; stir in basil.

For the veggies: Heat the oil in a large skillet over med-high. Add the fennel, zucchini, and squash, and cook until softened, 8-9 min. Add the garlic; cook 30 sec. Stir in the red pepper strips.

Stir in wine; simmer until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in tomatoes and thyme.

Serve veggies over quinoa topped with olives, feta, and sauce.

"Let thankfulness temper all your thoughts."

And, have FUN today!!!!

Love,

Machete Milletti (AKA Chef Deb)

No comments:

Post a Comment