Pages

Monday, February 25, 2019

Slow Cooker Root Veggie Winter Soup

This is going in my crock pot as I write this.!! I did start with chicken bone broth, and at the end of the day yesterday - added sage sausage that I cooked to crumbles, and also added a can of stewed toms., and a can of black eyed peas (drained and rinsed well). I also added a bay leaf, and some lemon thyme from my farm.But you could easily make this totally vegetarian, if you prefer...
"You can serve this over rice or with grilled baguettes"..
(no serving size given)

1 (32 oz.) carton low -sodium veg. broth
1 (10 oz.) can low-sodium chicken broth
1&1/4 cups water
1 t. caraway seeds, divided
1/4 t. dried cilantro, or more, to taste
1 t. dried tarragon
1/4 t. coriander seeds
1&1/2 lbs. colored carrots, peeled and sliced (I used organic orange, just washed well, and cut into
     chunks*)
1 lb. parsnips, peeled and sliced (I do not like parsnips, so I omitted these*)
1 large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
1 large sweet* onion (the original recipe called for a white onion)
Ground white or freshly ground black pepper (white pepper contains Gluten*)
1 green onion, chopped (I used 2 from my farm*)

Combine veg. broth, chicken broth, and water in a slow cooker set on HIGH. Stir in 1/2 t. caraway seeds and dried cilantro. Combine remaining 1/2 t. caraway seeds, tarragon, and coriander seeds in a spice grinder (or mortar and pestle - I  love my marble one!*); pulse until finely ground. Stir into the slow cooker. Stir in carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, and onion, into the slow cooker. Cook on High until liquid is boiling. Reduce to Low and cook until veggies are tender when pierced with a fork, about 5 hours. Season with pepper; garnish with green onion.

Live your life so you get a card in the mail that says, "IT'S FUN TO HAVE A FRIEND LIKE YOU.."

Love,

Chef Deb (aka Machete Milletti)

No comments:

Post a Comment